Mahamudra — The Diamond Realm of Mind
audio coming soon. please check back.
- Take a comfortable seat, and fix your body still.
- Focus for a few moments on your breath, to get the
- As you focus on the breath, relax your control of the
breath, so that the body breathes automatically, and
you are simply watching it.
- Start to get a clear feeling of being simply the watcher.
Cultivate a state of mind where you are in the back
seat, and someone else is driving.
- Now, take this same watcher state of mind, and turn
it to your thoughts. Relax and let the thoughts rise
at will—you are no longer the thinker, you are simply
watching whatever arises.
- Whenever any thought or picture surfaces in the
mind, be careful not to grasp onto it or let yourself
fall into that thought. Keep yourself at a distance, as
the watcher, and simply observe.
- Observe how each thought or picture rises from a
state of nothingness, and then dissipates back into
- Next, observe how with each passing thought, your
awareness is colored by the object it is focused on.
- See how the watcher arises together with each
passing object of thought. See how the watcher too
is just a moment-to-moment karmic ripening. There is
no fixed, solid awareness; there is only the moment of
- Then as you watch, turn your mind to emptiness—
see each and every passing thought or picture that
arises as lacking any real substance—nothing but a
ripple on the surface of your awareness, nothing but
a moment of mind.
- As you hold this watcher state of mind, the ripples
of thought start to fade. Concentrate then on the
space between the thoughts. Explore that silence.
Ask yourself a question then: what is awareness
without any object to be aware of? What is a watcher
without anything to watch?
- Focus the mind then on the emptiness of the watcher
itself—how your very awareness is nothing but a
moment-to-moment ripening, with no real nature of